Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What is this "FLY" you talk about???

Yeah, Ah dun bin bad. Not FLYing at all, not house-wise, anyway. So much for "Let's FLY together!", huh?

But the reason I write today, and I do have a reason, is that I've been FLYing my files again. This is not the proudest of accomplishments: it took me until bloody April to switch the years over and get rid of the "filing pile" in my "filing box". Good grief.

I've started a new business, however, and I seriously don't want to use a shoebox and then panic at the end of the year. So today I have used my FreedomFiler system and a nice little article by Jill Chongva at Helium.com and have managed to catch up on 3 months' worth of filing for my business and my home.

Not bad for a sunny Tuesday.

I have decided that my filing tray HAS TO GO. Out the door, good-bye, syanara, or, in the words made famous by ABBA, "So long! See ya honey!" Let's face it, filing trays are just piling trays. It's really, really, really bad for us "do it later" folks to keep too many piling trays around After all, this is why I created this system - so it's easy to use and I can just file the bleedin' things and not pile them!

The space created on my desk by getting rid of the piling tray will be used for my "active" files, which are now set up neatly in a desktop hanging folder frame. Because guess what? My active files are full of things to do! Know why? I put it inside a drawer. *hand smacks forehead* It would seem that whoever created the adage, "Out of sight, out of mind", was entirely right...

Thus, it will now stand proudly on my desktop, waving it's little folder tabs wildly at me all day, glinting sunlight from the window into my eyes - anything it can think of, really, to remind me to pick out a folder and DO SOMETHING!

I really am an odd bird. I cannot stand working in a cluttered, unorganized office. My house can fall to pieces around me, but heaven help the person that plops something on my desk in some random fashion (unless it's me, then I excuse it wholeheartedly). I'm finding that once or twice a week, I have acquired the habit of clearing off my desk (I don't know where I acquired it, I think it just jumped in the open window one night when the snow was really high). I get rid of meandering necklaces, tiny bowls I had my baby carrots in, various nail polish bottles, notes on scraps of paper that have long been accomplished, five thousand pens, pencils and highlighters - all that rot. And then I have a brand new surface to clutter up every few days and I stay happy.

Now if I could just "clear off" my house once or twice a week like I do my desk, life would be good.

No comments: